Moving house is one of the most stressful experiences that you can undertake and it’s often difficult figuring out where to start. With all that stress and the countless worries you have whirring through your head, it’s easy to forget everything you have to do before moving. From managing the removal company to who you need to notify about your new address, there’s a lot you need to remember to do before moving to your new home.
Whether you’re looking to sell your house fast or just need a hand remembering everything you need to do before moving day, we’ve got a great guide. Our blog post acts as a moving house checklist.
What you need to do a few months before the move:
No need to panic, you have plenty of time to get everything sorted. Remember to print this list off! Here’s what you should begin with:
- Decide on a moving date: You should avoid moving on a Friday or bank holiday, as removal companies will be in high demand and may charge more.
- Start packing: Ideally, you need to start packing at least two months before you move, so you have time to thoroughly clean the property once you’re done.
- Clear out: It’s a good idea to have a clear out while you pack, as there’s no point moving items that you no longer want or need. Label each of your boxes, clearly mark those containing fragile items, and make sure not to overpack any.
- Selling your property: If your current property is still on the market and moving day is looming closer, look at quick sale companies like Swift Move to sell the property fast.
Things to do a few weeks before you move:
- Sort out utilities: Transfer your existing contracts to your new home, or set up new accounts with different suppliers.
- Changing address: Contact your local council to sort out Council Tax and update your status on the electoral roll. Let TV Licensing know the date you’re moving to ensure you’re covered from the day you move in.
- Child & pet care: If you have pets or children, arrange care for them during moving day.
- Book a storage unit: If you have too many belongings for the new property or you don’t want to take items you no longer need to your new home, book a storage unit to use until they are sold.
Make the move
Put together a file of instruction manuals, service information, details of rubbish collections, recycling schemes and alarm codes for the property. You’ll also need to do a final clean.
Once you’ve moved in
Check that the phone, security alarm, electricity, gas, central heating, water and smoke alarms all work. Change the locks shortly after you move in.
Moving is a stressful and overwhelming process, especially if you’re not prepared. Get organised as soon as you can after your sale completes, so your family will be comfortable in your new home.
If you’re looking for a quick house sale, you may want to sell through Swift Move. Our team of property professionals have worked in the property industry for over 50 years and can buy your home for cash in as little as ten days.